Digital Thermometer - Any recommendations?

Joined Jun 11, 2013
I have an uncanny ability to blow through digital thermometers (I go through about one a year).

Last night I nearly ruined dinner (thick boneless pork chops) after a let's-find-out-the-hard-way-the-thermometer-isn't-working experience when relying on my latest one. It came on fine and it read the temperature (or at least what I thought was an accurate temperature) . . . but, when it wouldn't go above 80 degrees, I started to get suspicious.

Now I have a few questions . . .
  • Should I be able to get more than one year out of a digital thermometer?
  • I'm aware that a true 'instant read' is unreasonable. Some are advertised as 2 seconds, some 4-6 seconds, etc. The faster the better . . . assuming it's an accurate read . . . but how fast can I expect a digital thermometer to read?
  • Does anyone have any experience with ThermoPro digital thermometers? They're under $20 on Amazon. That seems pretty inexpensive compared with what I've spent in the past.

Joined May 25, 2015
We have been using Taylor 9878E thermometers. About $15. I had been using the same one for years when the probe broke off from the head one day. I had a spare purchased at the same time and when I went to use it, it acted like yours. So the backup now was a regular dial thermometer actually given to us by the HD.

I ordered three more 9878Es and keep two in stock. My original ones were so old that they don't make them in that color anymore. Don't think they owe me anything.

It's easy to get caught up in things like how fast these things read. Personally, I don't care as long as it's a few seconds compared to a dial thermometer. I can't see spending a lot of money considering you should have a few. Anything more than $20 is a waste of money AFAIC.

Last edited:
Joined Aug 14, 2012
Should I be able to get more than one year out of a digital thermometer?
Absolutely

I'm aware that a true 'instant read' is unreasonable. Some are advertised as 2 seconds, some 4-6 seconds, etc. The faster the better . . . assuming it's an accurate read . . . but how fast can I expect a digital thermometer to read?
All quick read thermometers will at least take a few seconds, but in all frankness you'd be surprised at how long some cheap digital thermometers take to register temp.

Does anyone have any experience with ThermoPro digital thermometers? They're under $20 on Amazon. That seems pretty inexpensive compared with what I've spent in the past.
I dont have any experience with ThermoPro, but I'd easily recommend a thermometer by Cooper Atkins. The are quick read, accurate, and built to last. Working in a health care facility, I'm temping things all day long, these will last.

The latter has a longer probe you might find useful for larger roasts.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
I use a therma pen and am happy with it. It's not cheap though but it has lasted me a long time.
As back up I use my bbq probes....

Joined May 25, 2015
I assume the DPP400W? Yeah, those are good but I don't like the display on the side.

Joined May 25, 2015
Wow! That's a big sucker and expensive too at around $60. Judging by the suppliers it's being sold to the HVAC trade and industrial even though the manufacturer touts it for food. By the looks of it it would do well in an HVAC technicians tool box. I can see why no food service suppliers carry it. Not the kind of thing you would put in your coat pocket.

And again with the display on the side.

Last edited:
Joined Oct 2, 2016
Wow! That's a big sucker and expensive too at around $60. Judging by the suppliers it's being sold to the HVAC trade and industrial even though the manufacturer touts it for food. By the looks of it it would do well in an HVAC technicians tool box. I can see why no food service suppliers carry it. Not the kind of thing you would put in your coat pocket.

And again with the display on the side.
;-) most of structured caterers use them over here
best wishes

Joined Nov 15, 2012
I bought a $3 digital pen in a discount store several years ago, has nice thin tip, fast readout, accuracy good enough, and it still works! And I'd guess you needn't concern yourself overmuch with theft. I admire cooks who can intuitively and by touch determine internal temps, but in 50+ years of home cooking I never developed reliable skill here.

Joined Oct 2, 2016
I bought a $3 digital pen in a discount store several years ago, has nice thin tip, fast readout, accuracy good enough, and it still works! And I'd guess you needn't concern yourself overmuch with theft. I admire cooks who can intuitively and by touch determine internal temps, but in 50+ years of home cooking I never developed reliable skill here.
7626a60dcaf13e2f9db166f5a9ca73d9.jpg

;-)

Joined Jul 13, 2012
I use a Thermapen it's instant read and folds up for pocket, or handy storage. I've had it for 4-5 years and only had to replace the battery once since new. You can get a refurb for less than new.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
动漫岛 - 十八禁啪漫动漫-成年AV动漫网站