Buyer beware: GE Advantium 120 Oven/microwave/speedcooker

Joined Mar 4, 2012
I owned the GE Advantium 240 and had to leave it in the house I sold. I used it everyday for 7 years and never had a problem with it. I miss and plan to buy another one. The quick cooking and the quality of the food is wonderful. I keep hoping my built-in microwave will quit working so i can buy an Advantim. The electrical work that needs to be done is well worth the product.

Joined Mar 16, 2012
Rayman, I just found your review of the GE Advantium. ?I have had the same problem with the broken handle. ?Has now broken 3 times! ?Other than that, no other problems...knock on wood! ?What type of glue did you use and has it remained successful? ?Thanks!

Joined Apr 21, 2012
I would be wary of buying another one. We just purchased a house about 7 months ago that has one of these GE Advantium Microwave/Oven's in it and it just quit last night for no reason! No power, no warning, just quit! The previous owner had it for several years and got good use out of it I am sure, but now we are stuck with a dead built-in GE! I will not replace with the same appliance after this and after reading all of the reviews! Good luck though!

Joined May 7, 2012
I am really disappointed in my advantium 120 model sca1000hwwo4 have had it since spring 2009 and it is a nightmare. the door is cracked (in a place where no one touches, the inside fabric like material on side wall is cracked and falling out (looks like it dried up and is crumbling and yesterday it decided to start arcing.. yea. I paid good money for this one and now I have to replace it. the new advantium is in the 999 $ cost (compared to 500-600 for other brands) . going to call GE today but am not expecting much. will not buy the new adtvantium.

Joined Jun 20, 2012
Hi All,

We built a custom home with? a viking stove, meli dishwashers, sub zero refrigerators.

and an Advantium oven? the 240 volt ; only type on the market at the? time.

Ge replaced two units, only after 8 to 12 service calls.

this all was in 13 months after purchase.

We would have been better off with? a College dorm room microwave.

The third unit quit two months after instillation.

We? now? know "GE"? stands for good enough.

Joined Jun 21, 2012
I have an advantium which is about 2 years old.? Last year, just before the warranty from GE expired, the door cracked and the vent cover came loose.? It was repaired under warranty.? However, now the door is cracked again in 3 places (one place the same as before) and the vent cover is cracked and hanging.? I have an extended warranty which I got thru Home Depot when I bought the unit.? The warranty people are telling me that they will not fix the door or the vent cover because they are just cosmetic.? What a farce this is from the way it was explained when it was sold to us.? Supposedly, Home depot is going to get it fixed for us this one time, although the GE guy came to fix it today and wanted $300 before he did anything.? We did not give him the $300 because Home Depot was supposed to have it fixed for us at no charge to us.? We are waiting to see what happens next.? I love being able to use the Advantium as a regular oven, but at the price, I will not buy another GE product or an extended warranty.? It just seems you can't trust anyone anymore.? Remember when you could buy an appliance and it would last for years?? Guess those days are gone.

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Thanks for this review and all the comments.? I was looking for a new oven and this seemed something I would be interested.? However, as we have so often learned through other's experiences, the bells and whistles don't always mean quality and longevity.?? I will stick with a basic oven, a basic microwave, and a basic toaster oven to cover all the bases. If one goes out, it will not affect any other and is replaced cheaply (microwave/toaster oven) compared to constant?repairs necessary and breakages with this oven.? I will not spend this kind of money (over $1800) on a piece of metal.? I must add, I have GE appliances (basics) and have not had problems at all, but I will definitely research any I plan to buy in the future.

Joined Jul 24, 2012
Hey, so the sife and I are planning on moving then renovation the new kitchen and we have been looking for at all the GE appliances. We were pretty keen the in the GE Advantium however we did a little research and a lot of reviews were not that good. Any advise would be great.

Joined Aug 1, 2012
We have had an Advantium 120 (27" wide version) for just over 6 years. Not a single problem with it, it's been rock solid for us. We use it daily to both nuke and speedcook. It's tripped the breaker a couple of times when running both the oven and a toaster on the same circuit, but that's no fault of the machine. Other than that, it's been a great appliance for us, our "real" oven doesn't see much action anymore.

Joined Sep 24, 2012
It's funny you should say that, my Advantium will be 10 years old in a couple of months, and it still works like new.? I have had to change the light bulb, but otherwise no problems.? As a matter of fact, I am renovating my kitchen next month, and am trying to find a stainless door to replace the white one.? I do not want to trash the oven because it still works like new, and I really like it.

Bev

Joined Dec 9, 2012
We've loved our advantium microwave since we bought it in 2004!!!
The only issue we've ever had is a broken door latch, twice. It's a very easy fix.
Don't know anything about all the bad luck others have had.
We'd buy another again!!!!!!

Joined Dec 18, 2012
I have ( had) an advantium 120..loved it so much.? Sunday was melting some chocolate in a little glass dish..the fabric started burning thru and arcing and it had a flame inside.? I will miss it so much but scared to purchase another one after this.? It was about 6 years old and I did use it especially the speed cook.

Joined Mar 2, 2013
Thank you for the warning on this product. ?

I had been very seriously considering buying the Advantium 120 until I read your review. ?It boasts a number of cooking features I have not seen on any other microwave convection ovens, so I was quite intrigued. However after reading this horror story and the ones that follow, I intend to now look elsewhere.

Best regards,

Sean.

Joined Apr 1, 2013
I too bought the GE Advantium 120 in January of 04. Although I loved it in the beginning it turned into nothing but trouble. My door cracked twice which the repairman blamed on the heat rising from the stove, mind you it is made to be mounted above the stove, supposedly. It has stalled out a few times during microwave use but after a day or two it would resume working. Just yesterday while using the convection oven it just completely died. Absolutely nothing works, I am so dissappointed in this product and I would seriously warn any one considering it to deffinately beware!

Joined Mar 19, 2013
Can you share any insight on how to convert recipies for speedcooking in the Advantium?

Joined Dec 7, 2010
I think Sears has cheapened the appliances. Like you, I used to trust their appliances. A few years ago my great Sears vacuum of 25 years or more died, so i went right back to Sears fora replacement. The new one was a piece of crap. The old one was so much better. Barely 3 years old now & babied every time it was used just because it was so cheesy, it has lost suction to the point i bought another vac for the floor and only use the Sears on the drapes. Also i had my fridge die & the repairman said not to get a Kenmore because they no longer used the great Whirlpool compressors like they used to, but have cheap Chinese ones in their refrigerators now. Whirlpool still uses the good ones, (and also Estate (subsidiary of Whirlpool). And whatever you do, don't get anything Haiet makes. I have a portable A/C of theirs. Will not drain the water. Leaks all over the floor. Junk.

As for GE stoves, I still have one I got about 15years ago. At the time they were advertising that the oven was extra large. But it isn't. Just regular size. One turkey takes the whole rack & side dishes have to go on the other one. Plus all 4 burners are too hot unless you practicallyturn them off. Not much control.

Last edited:
Joined Jul 16, 2013
Four years new GE Advantium 120. Broken. No power, completely dead. Now what? Wish I had read all the reviews on it. Out of warranty, estimate for repair more than the cost. Can anyone give me suggestions?

Riaz

Joined Oct 5, 2013
We bought a GE Advantium 120 about 10 years ago and love it! Maybe they have gone down hill since, but ours is still going strong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
动漫岛 - 十八禁啪漫动漫-成年AV动漫网站